Russia is now saying that the U.S. is refusing to hold talks between the two nations when it comes to Washington’s missile defense program.
This is what Deputy Minister of Russian Defense Anatoly Antonov claimed as he delivered remarks on Sunday at the 2016 IISS Shangri-La Dialogue’s fifth plenary session.
According to Antonov, Russia believes in the “renouncement of any attempts to ensure one’s security at the expense of others.” Moreover, he also believes that having a regional security system that based on closed military alliances fails to create “an atmosphere of trust and mutual understanding.”
At the same time, the Russian Secretary of Defense also believes that both Russia and China are at a disadvantage when it comes to the ballistic missile defense sites that the U.S. has just helped break ground in Poland and Romania.
With regard to this, Antonov remarked, “We have offered them cooperation many times and found ways we could solve the situation … But we did not manage to convince them to continue dialogue on this issue. As I understand it, now is not the best time for them to hold consultations.”
Russian President Vladimir Putin had already warned against the establishment of the two Aegis Ashore ballistic defense site that the U.S. said is meant to protect the NATO alliance.
Deputy Defense Secretary Bob Work has also said that the said ballistic missile defense systems are not aimed at Russia. He also emphasized that it is “simply not possible” for the systems to undermine Russia’s own defensive system. Since Russia is one of the “most advanced missile operators in the world,” Work believes that Moscow officials should be aware of this.
Similarly, Polish Defense Minister Antoni Macierewicz had echoed Work’s sentiments saying, “We understand that Russia is not quite getting this point that we are reiterating.”