Late last Monday, the White House issued a statement regarding the current state of affairs in Syria. According to the statement, the country’s current regime is once again preparing for another chemical weapons attack.
According to The Guardian, specialists from the Pentagon have identified patterns of activities similar to the April sarin gas attack. The White House, in response, issued a statement saying Assad’s military actions will be dealt with severe repercussions.
According to a White House representative, “The United States has identified potential preparations for another chemical weapons attack by the Assad regime that would likely result in the mass murder of civilians, including innocent children.”
“The activities are similar to preparations the regime made before its April 4, 2017 chemical weapons attack,” the White House said. “As we have previously stated, the United States is in Syria to eliminate the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria. If, however, Mr Assad conducts another mass murder attack using chemical weapons, he and his military will pay a heavy price.”
Meanwhile, US ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley, tweeted that “any further attacks done to the people of Syria will be blamed on Assad, but also on Russia and Iran who support him killing his own people.”
On the other hand, Russia denies having any knowledge on the alleged gas attack preparations being carried out by the Assad regime. The Kremlin also said that the US threat is unacceptable.
On the other side of the Atlantic, the UK’s defence secretary, Michael Fallon, claimed that the US did not share any information regarding the current chemical weapons threats. However, he also said that the UK will support the US in the fight against Assad’s regime as long as it is proportionate, legal, and necessary.
Last April, President Trump has has issued an attack to Syria in response to the April 4 chemical weapons attack on its citizens.