The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge released new photographs of Prince George to celebrate his birthday, as he turned three on Friday.
However, least did they expect the leading animal rights organizations to raise concerns about one of the images in which the little prince was seen feeding pet spaniel Lupo with an ice cream lolly.
According to experts, dairy products are like to cause digestive problems in dogs and that chocolate is highly toxic to them. In the picture, Prince George, the third in line to the throne, could be seen holding an ice cream lolly covered in white chocolate at Lupo’s mouth in the garden of his parents’ Norfolk Mansion, Anmer Hall.
The RSPCA animal welfare charity advised people to be cautious while feeding foods meant for human consumption to dogs.
“It is lovely that Prince George is trying to help keep his family dog, Lupo, cool in these high temperatures,” it said in a statement as quoted by the Guardian. “We would advise people to be cautious when giving their dogs food meant for human consumption as some items, like chocolate, can be highly toxic to dogs and dairy items can be difficult for them to digest.
It added, “Instead of ice-cream we would suggest making an ice lolly from pet-friendly ingredients. Making these can be really fun for children and the end product is both safe and enjoyable for dogs.”
Paula Boyden, veterinary director of Dogs Trust charity advised against feeding dogs ice cream unless it is a dog-friendly variant.
“The cows’ milk and sugar content in ice-cream can sometimes lead to digestive issues. Whenever you do treat your dog, do consider the ingredients and always seek the advice of your vet.”
In the other photographs taken by photographer Matt Porteous, Prince George was seen playing on a swing inscribed with “William and Catherine” wearing casual shorts and a T-shirt and also running through the gardens in jumpers by Pepa & Co. The Kensington Palace released four images of the future king on the occasion of his third birthday, the Mail Online reported.