One pharmacist just ended up saving a customer’s life after he walked into a pharmacy while in the middle of an allergic reaction.
Mark Davey was rushing towards a CVS pharmacy in Bartlett because he knew something bad was about to happen to him. “As I’m eating lunch, my tongue starts to swell up, and I think something really bad is about to happen,” the 57-year-old recalled.
This was the first time that Davey had ever experienced an allergic reaction. He knew that he needed help. That is why he decided to drive over to the CVS pharmacy. He thought he would get himself a Benadryl. When he got to the pharmacy, however, Davey’s condition had started to get worse.
According to a report from CBS Chicago, Davey had started gasping for air. Seeing this, pharmacist Bhavini Patel knew exactly what was happening to Davey. Patel immediately called 911 for help. After this, she decided to do something to save his life.
Pharmacist makes a critical decision that saves customer’s life.
“Shortly after, she gave me an epinephrine shot,” Davey recalled. Paramedics later responded to Patel’s call. Bartlett paramedic Victor Arlis said that if it wasn’t for Patel’s quick thinking, things could have ended badly for Davey. In fact, Arlis said that Davey “could have gone down the drain really quick” if it weren’t for Patel’s actions.Today, Davey is doing much better. As an added precaution, he now makes it a point to carry an EpiPen wherever he goes.
Meanwhile, in case you suspect you may be suffering from an allergic reaction, it’s best to call 911 as soon as possible. According to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, an allergic reaction can cause for a person to experience asthma attacks, breathing trouble, low blood pressure and even death. The most common allergic reaction triggers include food, medicine and insect stings.
Food allergy is frighteningly common in America.
The Food Allergy Research & Education estimates that as many as 15 million Americans suffer from food allergies just like Davey. In fact, an allergic reaction to food sends someone to the emergency department every three minutes. That leads to over 200,000 emergency department visits each year.
Have good news to share? Email the editor.