A customer at a McDonald’s franchise in the State of Mexico found a rat’s head inside his burger. The attorney general’s office in the state had since shut down the outlet.
A customer posted on social media a photo of a rat’s head he found inside his burger, Fox News Latino reported. Mexican media picked up the news and the story went viral immediately. The attorney general’s office in the State of Mexico had since close the McDonald’s franchise in Tlalnepantla.
El Universal reported that McDonald’s spokesperson Felix Ramirez said the customer involved attempted to extort money from them. “We are trying to find out what happened. It is something that was planted – it is impossible that something like that could be served at one of our restaurants,” Ramirez told the Mexican newspaper as quoted by Fox News.
This was not the first time that McDonald’s is accused of unhygienic food preparation. In September 2015, McDonald’s Osaka was under investigation after dozens of pieces of sharp plastic materials were found inside a green tea latte frappe. In February, Wall Street Journal reported that McDonald’s Japan admitted its first annual loss in 11 years of operation. In August 2014, a human tooth was said to have been found inside a pack of French fries. In December, a child customer had a minor cut by a piece of hard plastic found in a chocolate sundae. In January 2015, a customer found a piece of blue vinyl inside a chicken nugget.
In 2013, a video showing McDonald’s burger not decomposing after years in a container went viral. The company addressed it as fake, upholding that its burgers are made only with 100-percent USDA inspected beef.