Two toddlers and a young man died after their throats were slit by glass-coated manja kite strings during India’s Independence Day.
The two kids, Saanchi Goyal, 3, and Harry, 4, were gazing out the sunroof of their cars in different parts of Delhi. At that moment, the sharp kite strings slit their throats.
A young man named Zafar Khan, 22, also had his throat slit while riding a motorbike. According to BBC, these glass-coated manja kite strings are normally used to bring down competitors’ kites. However, they are now accidentally injuring and killing people.
ALSO READ: Boy Tangled In Giant Kite Falls To Death
There were 200 new incidents of bird injuries reported on Wednesday. These took place around different parts of the city. The birds had acquired wounds from the kite strings, as reported by Old Delhi-based Charity Birds Hospital.
There has been almost 500 cases of bird injuries between August 13 and 15. During the Indian Independence Day, kite flying is a popular sport. In these festive hours, multiple birds suffer wounds every year by the killer strings used to fly kites. Other than birds, people dying or getting wounded are reported every year.
The kite strings are prepared with powdered glass or metal to make them sharp.
In 2014 and 2015, the strings killed a five-year-old girl from Jaipur and another boy from the northern town of Moradabad. Last Monday, a Delhi policeman was also injured from the strings.
It was reported that the Delhi government has now prohibited the use of these killer strings. The government also promised to run campaigns to educate people about the dangers of using such strings, according to The Tribune.
“It’s good that they (the government) have at least banned the manjha. But, birds suffer injuries even from simple threads,” said Sunil Jain of the Charity Birds Hospital. “There has to be some sort of restriction on kite flying. We have to be sensitive towards these creatures also.”