One person was killed and three were wounded in a school shooting in South Carolina.
The suspect in the incident, which happened on September 28 at Townville Elementary School, has been identified as 14-year-old Jesse Osborne. As the shooting erupted in the playground behind the school, Jesse did not enter the school, according to Deputy Chief Keith Smith.
The shooter was apprehended on the school grounds before 2 p.m.
Jesse Osborne: 14-year-old shooter homeschooled
The deceased has been identified as Jesse’s father, Jeffrey Osborne, who was found close to the school in the family home. Among the wounded were two six-year-old students and a teacher, all of who were from the school. The teacher was released from AnMed health and one of the students was discharged from an area hospital.
As reported by Mike Ellis of the Independent Mail and USA Today Network, the other six-year-old, identified as Jacob Hill, remains in critical condition.
According to a witness, the shooter opened fire in the playground and was yelling “I hate my life” repeatedly. As reported by WSPA, Jesse was being homeschooled. He was expelled last year after allegedly attacking another student with a hatchet.
Jesse Osborne: No connection between shooter and school
There is no connection between the gunman and the school where the shooting took place.
“Our entire family is absolutely shocked and saddened by the senseless actions of our son and grandson,” Pastor James South said in a statement. “We are praying and will continue to do so for the two precious children who were wounded, and for their courageous teacher who was wounded while rescuing the children.”
Sheriff Skipper said Jesse will be appearing at a Family County detention hearing on September 30.
More than $40,000 has been raised through a GoFundMe page for Hall. A blood drive has been organized for the victim at Townville Fire Department on October 2 between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.