On Thursday, a U.S. judge ordered the State Department to release email exchanges between Hillary Clinton and the White House within the week of the 2012 attack in Benghazi, Libya.
The State Department has been ordered to release the emails by September 13, 2016. Thousands of additional emails have already been uncovered by federal investigators.
According to conservative watchdog group Judicial Watch, two Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuits were filed, as the State Department releases additional emails from the former Secretary of State’s non-state.gov email system starting September 30.
In response to a request by the conservative watchdog group, Judge William Dimitrouleas of the U.S. District Court in southern Florida made the order to request for the State Department for Clinton-era records under freedom of information laws.
The State Department confessed it has discovered Benghazi-related documents during a court filing this week. They said they came across the documents among the 14,900 Clinton emails and attachments uncovered by the FBI. These are the same documents the former First Lady deleted and withheld from the State Department.
It has been reported earlier that Clinton used an unauthorized private email system, which ran from a server in the basement of her home. She was using it while Secretary of State from 2009 to 2013, and hence was criticized for that. However, Clinton said using this private email system was a wrong decision, and that she regrets it, according to the Huffington Post.
In response to the FOIA lawsuits, the State Department said, “State would make its first production of any non-exempt responsive records subject to FOIA on September 30, 2016, and complete production no later than October 31, 2016.”
During September 11, 2012, Islamic militants ambushed the American diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya. During the attack, U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and U.S. Foreign Service Information Management Officer Sean Smith were killed.
A mile away from the diplomatic compound, there was another area were a second assault took place. The attack killed CIA contractors Tyrone S. Woods and Glen Doherty. Ten others were wounded in the attacks.