Connect with us

Freddie Gray Dies A Week After Arrest, Suspicious Circumstances Raise Questions

Freddie Gray Dies A Week After Arrest, Suspicious Circumstances Raise Questions
Baltimore – Winter Lee Burchfield/Flickr CC BY 2.0


Freddie Gray Dies A Week After Arrest, Suspicious Circumstances Raise Questions

In what people are calling yet another case of police brutality, a black man died a week after he was forcibly taken into a police van by white patrol officers. The incident is under scrutiny, and questions are being raised as to what caused the victim’s death.

According to the hospital spokeswoman, Karen Lancaster, Freddie Gray was brought into the hospital on April 12 after he was charged with criminal activity. However, specifics of the allegations made against him have not been divulged by the police.

On Sunday, Gray died at the Shock Trauma Center, a part of the University of Maryland Medical Center.

The circumstances surrounding his death are still unclear, as reported by CNN.

Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, Baltimore mayor, said, “The questions that many of you have are the same questions that we’re asking: How was Mr. Gray injured? Were our proper protocols and procedures actually followed? What are the next steps to take from here?”

However, an attorney for Gray’s family accused that it was a cover up, and that the police were a part of it.

In a statement, attorney William Murphy, Jr., said, “On last Sunday morning at about 8 a.m., the police chased Freddie Gray, a 27-year-old healthy man, without any evidence he had committed a crime. His take-down and arrest without probable cause occurred under a police video camera, which taped everything including the police dragging and throwing Freddy into a police vehicle while he screamed in pain.”

Business Insider reported that a civilian had taken a video of Grey being dragged into a police van; however, the footage did not reveal what occurred consequently.

According to CBS Baltimore, Gray’s death elicited public outrage. People also expressed their condemnation on Twitter.

In a press conference, Mayor Rawlings-Blake said, “Commissioner Batts and the police department are moving very swiftly to complete this investigation as soon as possible. We’re committed to transparency and we will release additional details as we complete the investigation.

“I understand the frustrations of the community. I take very seriously the obligation of transparency. However, we also have to balance that with our responsibility to ensure a proper and thorough investigation. Therefore, we have to move forward in a responsible way to determine all the facts of this investigation so we can provide our community with the real answers. I will ensure that we hold the right people responsible.”


You might also be interested in: Suspect Shot Dead Following High-speed Chase In NE Harris County


About Shaurya Arya

Shaurya covers wide range of genres. He is in the know about the day-to-day happenings in the US. He covers politics, environment, lifestyle and sports. Follow him to know the latest development in the US Presidential Election, rescue operations during tornadoes and other calamities or simply whether those viral videos and memes are true or hoax. With a Masters in Journalism, he has a bright future ahead in the field of writing and reporting.

More in Nation

Good News

To Top