Connect with us

Ferguson Protests Spark Violence, Unrest; State Of Emergency Declared In St. Louis

Ferguson Protests Spark Violence, Unrest; State Of Emergency Declared In St. Louis
Solidarity march for Michael Brown in response to the Ferguson grand jury decision Fibonacci Blue / Flickr CC BY 2.0


Ferguson Protests Spark Violence, Unrest; State Of Emergency Declared In St. Louis

A state of emergency was declared in St. Louis after several people were shot during a peaceful march to commemorate the second anniversary of Michael Brown’s death.

Protests Gave Way To Violence

On Sunday night, two individuals became victims to a drive-by shooting at the Canfield Green Apartments. Another individual opened fire on police officers in Ferguson, to which the police responded by returning fire.

The individual was wounded in the incident.

According to CBS News, the unrest and disturbance on Sunday night urged a state of emergency to be declared effective immediately, the St. Louis County Executive Steve Stenger said in a statement.

“The recent acts of violence will not be tolerated in a community that has worked so tirelessly over the last year to rebuild and become stronger,” Stenger said.

“The time and investment in Ferguson and Dellwood will not be destroyed by a few that wish to violate the rights of others.”

(Also read: Michael Brown’s Family Files Lawsuit Against City Of Ferguson)

‘We’ve Come To Say, Enough Is Enough’

The responsibility of police emergency management in Ferguson and neighboring areas will be taken over by St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar, Stenger added.

According to NBC News, protestors arrived at the Thomas F. Eagleton United States Courthouse in St. Louis, shouting “If we don’t get no justice, then they don’t get no peace.”

“We’ve come to say, ‘Enough is enough,'” one woman could be heard yelling.

Several people protested outside the building, chanting, “Black lives matter,” “You can’t stop the revolution” and “Which side are you on?

Fifty six people were taken into custody outside the courthouse, as reported by St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

The St. Louis County prosecuting attorney’s office said criminal charges were issued against Tyrone Harris, who police say opened fire on them Sunday night. The suspect was shot in the encounter and was taken to the hospital, where he remained in critical condition.

Harris was charged with four counts of assault on law enforcement, five counts of armed criminal action and one count of shooting at a motor vehicle.

Traffic Halted, Business Owners Affected

As a result of the demonstrations, traffic came to a standstill for 25 minutes, Robert Brendel, with the Missouri Department of Transportation, said.

(Also read: Eric Garner Chokehold Death Case: NYC Reaches $5.9 Million Settlement)

Business owners in the neighboring areas were largely affected by the protests which had led to the violence and shooting of Harris.

“It’s stressful. It’s so frustrating,” Dellena Jones, whose hair salon on West Florissant Avenue was affected by the unrest, said.

Last year, Brown’s death at the hands of Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson had brought together large crowds of people to protest against police brutality.

Wilson was not indicted. He resigned last November.


You might also be interested in: Android Security Flaw: Motorola Announces Plans To Fix Stagefright Bug


About Shaurya Arya

Shaurya covers wide range of genres. He is in the know about the day-to-day happenings in the US. He covers politics, environment, lifestyle and sports. Follow him to know the latest development in the US Presidential Election, rescue operations during tornadoes and other calamities or simply whether those viral videos and memes are true or hoax. With a Masters in Journalism, he has a bright future ahead in the field of writing and reporting.

More in Nation

Good News

To Top