Fox News chief Roger Ailes said that Donald Trump’s Twitter attack on Megyn Kelly “is as unacceptable as it is disturbing,” and that the business mogul owes Kelly an apology.
However, it does not look like Trump will.
In a statement, Ailes said, “Donald Trump’s surprise and unprovoked attack on Megyn Kelly during her show last night is as unacceptable as it is disturbing. Megyn Kelly represents the very best of American journalism and all of us at Fox News Channel reject the crude and irresponsible attempts to suggest otherwise.”
Trump, on the other hand, maintained that he did not think that Kelly is a quality journalist.
.@megynkelly must have had a terrible vacation, she is really off her game. Was afraid to confront Dr. Cornel West. No clue on immigration!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 25, 2015
Kelly ‘should probably apologize to me’
“Hopefully in the future I will be proven wrong and she will be able to elevate her standards to a level of professionalism that a network such as Fox deserves,” Trump said.
Trump said in a news conference later Tuesday that he disagreed that he should apologize. Instead, he said, Kelly “should probably apologize to me, but I just don’t care.”
“I think Fox treats me terribly,” he further said.
After posting his tweet, he re-tweeted a message shared by one of his followers on the social media platform that called Kelly a bimbo.
The feud between the two surfaced earlier this month when Kelly questioned Trump about his derogatory statements about women. Kelly’s interview of the billionaire during the first GOP presidential debate was watched by 24 million people on August 6.
Trump posted tweets later, saying Kelly was “bombed” and “unprofessional.” He even said that Kelly had “blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever.”
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Trump recently said that he does believe in apologizing, though he does not remember the last time he did it.
“Well, [Ailes is] a man that I like a lot, he’s been a friend of mine for many years, and he has done an incredible job,” Trump said. “We were at war because I felt that [Kelly’s debate question about women] was unfair, and I let him know it. But it’s all fine now. They were tough questions, and I thought inappropriate, but Roger didn’t, and I’ll go with Roger.”
‘This needs to stop’
According to ABC News, Bret Baier, who moderated the debate with Kelly and Chris Wallace, came to Kelly’s defense following the attack. He expressed his support for Kelly, tweeting that “this needs to stop.”
Brian Kilmeade said that Trump’s comments affected him personally.
“We are all friends with Donald Trump, but he is totally out of bounds reigniting that fight,” Kilmeade said. “I don’t know if he’s trying to get ratings out of that or poll numbers, but he’s not going to be successful.”
Trump also lashed out at the Republican presidential candidates, including Jeb Bush.
Trump’s latest targets also include Lindsey Graham.
Graham responded to this, saying, “Come to South Carolina and I’ll beat his brains out.”
You might also be interested in: Ashley Madison: Two Suicides Reported, Actions Of Hackers ‘Won’t Be Tolerated’