Chris Bosh is desperate to return to a basketball court but faces severe opposition from the Miami Heat, who worry about the repercussions of the 11-time All-Star lacing up again.
Bosh, suffering from a severe case of blood clots over the last few years, has vowed to play on blood thinners and take 100% responsibility for his health.
However, the Heat are fearful of possible lawsuits if anything drastic were to happen to Bosh on the court.
Bosh wouldn’t be the first athlete to return to the court on blood thinners. Former Florida Panthers winger Tomas Fleischmann sustained a career in hockey by taking anticoagulant injections.
Chris Bosh: Uncertain future in Miami
Last week, an enraged Bosh told the Open Run podcast that he wishes to to play basketball even if the Heat don’t clear his return.
Was Bosh hinting at possibly demanding a trade or agreeing to a buyout with the Heat?
Or could Bosh, who helped Miami win two championships, be forced into retirement?
Earlier this month, ESPN’s Brian Windhorst broke down the Bosh vs Miami situation by revealing that there is very little communication between the two camps.
“At issue is whether Heat-approved doctors would clear Bosh to play while on medication (blood thinners) to prevent a recurrence of the blood clots.
Bosh and the Heat have been working at a distance with his condition since the spring.”
The Miami Heat begins their training camp on Sept. 27 but there is still no official word on the Bosh situation.
Heat claiming medical hardship?
Some sources suggest that Miami will continue to remain mum on the situation until February 9, 2017, when the Heat front office can claim medical hardship and clear his contract off the books.
This is because Bosh’s last NBA game was on February 9, 2016, against the San Antonio Spurs. A team cannot claim medical hardship on a player who is unable to get back on the court before a 12-month period.
Remember, Bosh still has three years left on his five-year, $118 million contract.
The Heat still owe him approximately $76 million until 2019 and could get the whole amount cleared off the books by simply waiting until February.
But the question is: would Chris Bosh will be willing to site idle until February?
That doesn’t seem to be Bosh’s mindset. The power forward wishes to join Miami’s training camp.
“(I am) absolutely (ready for training camp). We’ve been talking about it for a long time. We released a statement in May that as soon as I’m ready to play, as soon as possible, I’ll play.
“I’m ready. I’ve done all my work working with the doctors. I’m in incredible shape. … I look good when I take my shirt off,” Bosh said during the Open Run Podcast.
Last year, Bosh suffered blood clots in his lungs and was placed on blood-thinners. He was unable to play contact basketball.
With Miami Heat’s training camp about to get underway, the Chris Bosh situation is something to keep close watch on over the next week or so.
— Chris Bosh (@chrisbosh) August 29, 2016