A supposedly ordinary day turned tragic for 18-year-old Ohio teen Lauren Seitz, who reportedly died of brain-eating amoeba during her visit in the U.S. National Whitewater Center in Charlotte.
Data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as reported byFox26 News, revealed that Lauren died of Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis, a brain infection caused by the bacteria Naegleria fowleri.
The report noted that the only time Lauren Seitz was exposed to the waters in the center was when the raft they were riding had overturned. It could be the moment she was exposed to the brain-eating amoeba. Lauren was with her churchmates when she visited the center; she died last Monday.
According to the CDC advisory page, Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis, commonly referred to as PAM, is a disease of the central nervous system or the brain. The CDC considers PAM as a rare one and is caused by free-living bacteria. CDC data revealed that the survival rate for those infected was pegged at 2.17 percent, or only 3 survivors from 138 cases recorded from 1962 until 2015.
“Humans become infected when water containing Naegleria fowleri enters the nose and the ameba migrates to the brain along the olfactory nerve 2, 3. People do not become infected from drinking contaminated water,” the CDC noted.
The bureau added that it usually takes between one and nine days before symptoms develop from the day of initial exposure to the dreaded bacteria. Apart from the low survival rate, health officials are having a hard time detecting the disease, as it usually progresses rapidly, which in most cases ended up in death.
Some of the major symptoms for stage 1 include severe headache, fever, nausea, and vomiting. Stage 2 of the disease is manifested by a feeling of stiff neck, seizures, altered mental status, hallucination, and even coma, like what Seitz reportedly experienced.