Connect with us

Apple Chooses Samsung To Be Top A-Series Chip Manufacturer

Apple Chooses Samsung To Be Top A-Series Chip Manufacturer


Apple Chooses Samsung To Be Top A-Series Chip Manufacturer

Apple Chooses Samsung To Be Top A-Series Chip ManufacturerIt has always been a love-hate relationship between Apple and Samsung and the latest rumor suggests that the two technological giants are at it again as Apple contracts the services of Samsung to manufacture its next generation A-series chips starting 2015-2016.

A report from The Korea Times says Apple and Samsung have agreed to partner again for the Cupertino Firm’s A-Series chip that will power Apple’s new iDevices for the coming year.  The report further adds that Samsung will get to supply 80% of the A-Series chips that Apple uses for its iPhones and iPads while the remaining 20% will be supplied by Taiwan’s TSMC. Apple has not commented nor confirmed this yet as of this writing.

From The Korea Times:

“Samsung Electronics agreed with Apple to produce application processors (APs) from next year for iPhones and iPads. The agreement means Samsung will become a primary supplier of APs to Apple, pushing its chief Taiwanese rival TSMC back to second place. From 2016, the company will supply 80 percent of APs used in Apple devices, and TSMC the remainder.”

With this move, Samsung will become Apple’s number one supplier for the iPhones and iPads A-Series chips, relegating Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company to second place as Apple’s chip maker. It should be noted that TSMC is Apple’s prime supplier for the chips used in this year’s iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

For Samsung’s part, the company has been rumored to have produced samples of their 14-nanometer chips for a still to be named customer. On TSMC’s side, news has it that the manufacturer will produce in volumes their 16-nanometer FinFet chips.  When compared to Samsung’s latest 14-nanometer system, TSMC’s chips are not as efficient and cost-effective as the former’s.

From The Korea Times:

“Apple has designated Samsung as the primary supplier of its next A-series chips powering iOS devices from 2016 as the alliance with GlobalFoundries (GF) enabled Samsung to cut off capacity risk.”

If this rumor turns out to be true, then Samsung has a great opportunity to make billions in profit and improve its performance and ranking in the mobile industry. Not only that, this deal with Apple could potentially open the doors for other companies like Qualcomm, NVIDIA and Sony to get their chips from Samsung as Apple has again shown trust in the Korean giant.

About Chelito Carasig

Lito Carasig is a tech geek who craves for anything and everything new specially about personal devices and gadgets. He loves using them and giving his two cent's about what makes them tick and how fantastic (or not!) they can be!

More in Technology

Good News


To Top