Hacking group Anonymous claimed to have hacked almost 800 Twitter accounts, 12 Facebook pages and more than 50 email addresses said to be having ties with the deadly extremist group, the ISIS. In a YouTube video posted Friday, Anonymous declared admonition against ISIS. The group warned that the radical group “will be treated like a virus, and we are the cure. We own the internet.”
As proof of its hacking claims, Anonymous included a Pastebin link in their video. The link had the list of the Twitter accounts shut down by the group, some of them remained suspended while others are still active. It also contained the list of email accounts compromised as well as websites taken offline, including a website containing Islamic intelligence archive.
In the video, Anonymous said that its Operation ISIS continues. The group clarified that they are not Muslims, Christians nor Jews. It upholds that its members are hackers, crackers, Hacktivist, phishers, agents and spies.
The members’ age group varies from the students, unemployed, rich and poor to the young, old, gay and straight, the group said. “We come from all races, countries, religions, and ethnicity. We will hunt you, take down your sites, accounts, emails… from now on, no safe place for you online,” Anonymous said in the video posted with the title Anonymous-#OpISIS Continues.
The hacking group had first declared cyber war against the ISIS and other Islamic extremists in the height of the attack on French satirical magazine, the Charlie Hebdo. At the time, the group vowed it will avenge the death of the 12 people in the attack. The group said it will survey all extremist related activities online and declared it will shut down ISIS websites and all social media accounts.
Meanwhile, ISIS affiliated group hacked Newsweek Twitter account on Tuesday. The group identified themselves as the Cyber Caliphate that previously hacked the United States Central Command Twitter and Taylor Swift’s account as well.
Newsweek had fortunately regained control of its account and apologized to its readers through managing editor Kira Bindrim. “We apologize to our readers for anything offensive that might have been sent from our account during that period, and are working to strengthen our newsroom security measures going forward,” Bindrim said in a statement published by Newsweek.