Less than 24 hours after five demonstrators were shot during a Black Lives Matter protest in Minneapolis, which is being regarded as a racial attack, 1,000 people marched into the City Hall on Tuesday.
According to Star Tribune, three white suspects with connection with the shooting have been taken into custody. Allen Lawrence “Lance” Scarsella III was arrested in Bloomington, while Nathan Gustavsson and Daniel Macey turned themselves in. A Hispanic man was arrested in south Minneapolis, but was released upon finding out he was not present at the scene of the shooting.
Mayor Betsy Hodges said in a Facebook video message that she “abhors” the attacks, adding that “those attacks have no place in our city.” Minneapolis Police Chief, Janeé Harteau, described the officers as “true professionals” and said that “MPD worked nonstop through the night to bring justice in last night’s shooting.” No further details regarding the shooting were divulged.
Psychotherapist Felicia Washington Sy has also joined the protests after the shooting incident. She left work early Tuesday afternoon to join the demonstrations. “[I came out] because of the overwhelming feeling of injustice, sadness and my responsibility to take part and say ‘that’s not OK,’ ” she said.
The suspects opened fire on Morgan Avenue N., which is about a block from the precinct station where demonstrations have been carried out since the November 15 fatal shooting of an unarmed black man, Jamar Clark, at the hands of the police. While police say that Clark was shot after he struggled with the officers, some people who say were witnesses to the shooting claim that Clark had been in handcuffs.
Hennepin County Attorney, Mike Freeman, said that the decision to charge the officers connected to Clark’s death rests with the grand jury.
Miski Noor, media contact for Black Lives Matter, said that “a group of white supremacists showed up at the protest, as they have done most nights.” Noor said that the group “opened fire on six protestors,” striking five of them. The injuries sustained to the victims, who were between the ages of 19 and 43, were not life-threatening. They were transported to local hospitals for treatment.
It could not be immediately determined who was responsible for the attacks, as reported by Yahoo News. In the recent days, racially provocative comments had been posted on social media. One of these showed a white man with a gun who said was going to the protests. A warning was issued by the police on Friday, urging protesters to be careful and report any suspicious incidents.