Ninety three people sharing links with Islamic State (IS) militant groups have been arrested in recent months by Saudi Arabia. These individuals, authorities reported, were planning to carry out several attacks, including one at the U.S. embassy in Riyadh.
According to TIME, the detained militants include a group of 65 who were planning to target prisons, residential compounds and security forces, said Interior Ministry spokesperson Maj. Gen. Mansour al-Turki on Tuesday.
He further added that the arrests prevented a plot to bomb the U.S. Embassy in the capital. This was after the information about the suicide car bomber was received mid-March.
According to The Guardian, the alleged suicide bomber attack was to be carried out when the U.S. officials put on hold all of its consular services for a week from March 15 due to security fears. Two diplomatic missions in Saudi Arabia were also postponed.
Services restarted a week later after the Americans were asked to take precaution while traveling.
Ynet News reported that another cell of 15 men allegedly working for IS who had broken up around New Year’s, and were led by an explosives expert, were also arrested. The group, trained in building explosives, detonated two test bombs. They were also involved in firearms training, al-Turki said.
He further added that an individual responsible for killing two police officers in Riyadh earlier this month, having possible links with IS groups, was also taken into custody.
The 29-year-old Saudi citizen, Nawaf al-Enezi, was taken in on Tuesday morning after being tipped off by an unknown source. He was found 100 kilometers east of Riyadh. He, along with another individual who has already been arrested, received orders directly from IS group in Syria to kill police officers.
Saudi Arabia is part of the coalition led by the United States attacking IS militant group in Iraq and Syria.
You might also be interested in: US Officials Deny Possible IS Terror Plot