San Bernardino Shooting: Investigators Believe Shooters Planned Multiple Attacks

San Bernardino Shooting: Investigators Believe Shooters Planned Multiple Attacks
IMG_0489 Jonathan James / Flickr CC BY 2.0

The attackers of the San Bernardino shooting that killed 14 people last week had target practice days before the massacre.


The couple, Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik, had practiced at gun ranges in Los Angeles and on one occasion, the two practiced within days before the shooting, according to David Bowdich, assistant director of the FBI’s Los Angeles field office. They “were radicalized and have been for quite some time,” he said. “The question for us is how, and by whom, and where.”

Investigators are trying to determine whether either of the two shooters had a meeting with any IS leaders. According to CNN, there is a possibility that the two planned and executed the attacks by themselves. “Remember, oftentimes, it’s on the Internet. We just don’t know,” Bowdich said. “I don’t want to speculate.”

Although the ammunition and weaponry discovered suggests that the couple had planned multiple attacks, there is no evidence to support there were other possible targets, according to a senior U.S. government source. Nineteen pipes that could be turned into bombs were found in the couple’s home in Redlands, California.

Like us on Facebook

Farook’s father said that his son “said he shared the ideology of (ISIS leader Abu Bakr) al-Baghdadi to create an Islamic state, and he was fixated on Israel.” He added, “I told him he had to stay calm and be patient because in two years Israel will not exist anymore.”

President Barack Obama described the San Bernardino shooting as an “act of terrorism designed to kill innocent people.” He said that the shooters had “gone down the dark path of radicalization,” but that there is no clear evidence to support that the couple had been given orders to carry out the attacks.

According to Yahoo News, John Galletta, an instructor at Riverside Magnum Range, said that the couple had been at the site two days before the attack. “Nothing was out of the ordinary regarding his behavior,” he said.

The environmental health services department employees will start working from December 14.

Recounting the incident, some of the doctors who treated the victims wounded in the massacre spoke about the terrifying day. Dr. Sakona Seng said, “To see something of this magnitude is unexpected, to have it occur in our county is unexpected. It sort of tests your faith in humanity in some respects to hear that this happened.”