Samsung To Spend $7 Billion On AMOLED; Is It a Sign Apple Will Use the Display for iPhone 7?

Samsung To Spend $7 Billion On AMOLED; Is It a Sign Apple Will Use the Display for iPhone 7?
Samsung GALAXY Tab S launchVernon Chan / Flickr cc

Samsung, the world leader in AMOLED displays, is determined to widen its lead against its fiercest competitors. The Korean tech manufacturer will reportedly spend close to $7 billion to meet production demands for 2017.


The bump in capital would mean Samsung’s expected annual output of 300 million AMOLED devices would increase by as much as 40 percent next year. By the end of 2017, Samsung would have produced roughly 500 million AMOLED devices for itself as well as other tech companies.

Android Authority believes the high production demand is partly due to Apple’s plan to equip the next-gen iPhones with AMOLED displays. While nothing has been confirmed, a report from Nikkei Asian Review claimed that Apple has asked Samsung to supply most of the OLED panels for the upcoming iPhones.

Samsung will be shouldering 60 percent of production while manufacturers like Foxconn and LG will take care of the remaining 40 percent. In the OLED television market, LG Display and Japan Display look to usurp the Korean OEM by making huge splashes of their own.

Like us on Facebook

“LG Display plans to invest more than 10 trillion won into expanding production of OLED television and other panels over the next several years,” read the Nikkei report. “An entry into smartphone displays is eyed as well. Japan Display will spend 50 billion yen to build a new OLED production line in spring 2017, with mass production to start in 2018 or later.”

Amid rising competition from rival OEMS, Samsung continues to dominate the AMOLED display market. According to Android Headlines, Samsung leads the pack with 30 percent market share. The Korean tech giant is followed by Japan Display (17 percent), LG Display (13 percent), SHARP (9 percent) and AUO (5 percent).

For more technology news, you can subscribe to our newsletter. If you are a social media junkie and would like to receive updates on your timeline, then you can also like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.