At least in some issues, two opposing Philippine vice presidential candidates share a common opinion: no to Donald Trump in the White House.
During the first vice presidential debate held at the University of Santo Tomas on Sunday, Philippine vice presidential candidates Bongbong Marcos and Chiz Escudero don’t want to have Trump as the next president of the United States. The two candidates vying for the second highest position in the land agree that Trump in the White House would do no good to U.S.-Philippine relations.
Marcos, the son of former Philippine dictator Ferdinand Marcos, said he doesn’t want to wage war against any nation, hence his position. Marcos, who so far appears to be the most preferred vice presidential bet, said the diplomatic tie between the two countries should be equally beneficial to the two countries, not the Washington nor Beijing alone.
“I would like the United States, our longtime allies, that we in the Philippines are working toward our own national interest. I would be hesitant to say Donald Trump because he seems rather belligerent. And I have no interest in waging war against any country,” Marcos was quoted as saying by the Philippine Star.
Escudero, an independent candidate and running mate of presidential candidate Grace Poe, echoed Marcos’ sentiments regarding the idea of Trump winning presidency this November. For Escudero’s part, whatever relationship there is between the U.S. and the Philippines, it must be beneficial to all, not only to Americans, the GMA News reported.
“The problem is, the country is being taken advantaged of, regarding the current Philippine-US relations. Whatever relationship the Philippines have with the United States, it should be fair, it should be on equal footing,” Escudero said in Filipino.