People Reported Ill After Eating At Chipotle, Including Boston College Students

People Reported Ill After Eating At Chipotle, Including Boston College Students
Chipotle Mike Mozart / Flickr CC BY 2.0
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Share on LinkedIn
Pin to Pinterest
Share on StumbleUpon
What's This?

The Boston Public Health Commission has said that it received reports regarding multiple cases of gastrointestinal illness among people who had dined at the Chipotle Mexican Grill branch in Cleveland Circle.


Following this, an investigation was launched by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, the City of Boston Inspectional Services Department and the Boston Public Health commission. And the initial laboratory testing done indicated that norovirus is the cause of the illness.

The Boston Public Health Commission said there are currently 65 known cases of norovirus that is linked to Chipotle, although CNN reports that Boston College said that 80 of their students have fallen ill, including eight members of its men’s basketball team. Moreover, those who have contracted norovirus are students and residents from Boston College along with non-Boston College patrons. For the moment, the affected Chipotle Mexican Grill location remains closed while the investigation is underway.

Noroviruses is a group of viruses that can cause vomiting, diarrhea and stomach pain. Moreover, this infectious disease is also known as stomach flu, food poisoning and viral gastroenteritis. Symptoms of the virus can manifest as early as 12 hours after exposure. However, it typically occurs between one to two days from exposure. Aside from three most common symptoms, some people infected with norovirus may also experienced headache, muscle ache, tiredness, low-grade fever and chills.

Like us on Facebook

According to the Boston Public Health Commission, people typically recover from a norovirus infection between one to two days. However, people can still spread the virus from the time they start to feel sick until three days after they have recovered. It is recommended to practice good handwashing to avoid spreading the virus.

Chipotle said there is no confirmation if this incident is linked to its recent e. coli contamination issue.