Ocean Beach Park Electric Shock: Kid Suffered Burns And Red Marks
On Tuesday, families with children came to Ocean Beach Park to have a good time. Instead, a number of them were struck by electricity and sustained burns and red marks.Advertisement
At approximately 1:51 p.m., the New London Emergency Communications Center received a 911 call from Ocean Beach Park personnel. They reported that there were a number of persons who had been struck by electricity in the area where amusements rides are located.
When police officers and fire personnel arrived on scene, New London Police Department said they found “multiple persons of assorted ages” suffering from “various degrees of electric shock.” All victims were immediately transported to the Lawrence + Memorial Hospital for treatment.
Also read: 3-Year-Old Boy Falls From Roller Coaster!
According to a report from the New London Patch, six children experienced electric shock when they were riding an amusement ride called Scrambler on Tuesday afternoon. The operator of the ride later told police that he felt a “tingling” sensation when he pressed the button to stop the ride. None of the injuries appear to be serious in nature at this time.
Following the incident, a spokesman for the Ocean Beach Park released a statement to NBC Connecticut saying, “Nothing is more important to us than the safety of our guests, and we never want anyone to have a negative experience when they come to the park. As soon as the incident took place, we took immediate action to call authorities and have the ride operators cease operations until we could ensure safety.”
Today, inspectors are conducting an official investigation in to the incident. A source said it may have been caused by a loose light wire, which ended up coming into contact with the frame of the ride, sending a current through it. Meanwhile, Ocean Park have announced that all rides have been cleared to re-open.