Niagara Bottling Issues Recall, E. Coli. Found
After finding out that one of its spring sources has been found positively contaminated with E. Coli., Niagara Bottling has issued a public statement saying it has decided to voluntarily recall 14 of its products in the interest of consumer safety.
According to their report, the problem started in June 10, when E. coli. bacteria was found in their water supply.
However, the water company has stated that, “As the spring source did not notify us in a timely manner, we have discontinued the use of this source.”
Moreover, Niagara Bottling has also decided to voluntarily recall its other spring water products that were produced in Hamburg and Allentown Pennsylvania from “3am (EDT) June 10th to 8pm (EDT) June 18, 2015.”
These products include Acadia, Acme, Big Y, Best Yet, 7-11, Niagara, Nature’s Place, Pricerite, Superchill, Morning Fresh, Shaws, Shoprite, Western Beef Blue, Wegman’s.
Consumers are urged to check product codes to determine if what they have is affected by the recall.
According to Niagara Bottling, only products with codes that start with the letter F (for Hamburg) and A (for Allentown) are affected.
Meanwhile, the first digit after the letter refers to the number of the production line and it is followed by the date of the manufacture as well as the time.
In an interview with Fox News, Niagara Bottling spokesperson, Stan Bratskeir, admits this situation “effects a regional level” as the bottled water was already shipped to more than 11 states in a span of eight days.
As such, states affected by the recall aside from Pennsylvania include Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Ohio, Vermont, Virginia and North Carolina. He also states that so long as the product consumers have do not possess the codes stated, the product will be safe to consume.
E. coli. bacteria may come from animal wastes, which can make people sick, especially if they have weakened immune system.
According Niagara Bottling, symptoms to watch out for include diarrhea, cramps, headaches and nausea. As a caution, the company also says that consumers may also choose to boil the affected water to kill the bacteria and other harmful organisms.