In The News Today: Finn Jones To Play Lead In “Iron Fist,” Eddie Comes To Waimea Bay And More
Let Morning News USA get your day started.
1. This time, Eddie is here. At Waimea Bay today, there are finally waves that are big enough to be called an “Eddie” and participating surfers for the Quicksilver in Memory of Eddie Aikau are going to try their best to take on waves that go as high as 45 to 55 feet. These include 28 invitees, including Eddie’s brother Clyde Aikau, defending Eddie winner BWT current rankings’ leader Greg Long and 11-time World Champion Kelly Slater. Slater also happens to be 2001/2002 Eddie winner. Eddie Aikau was a surfing legend and lifeguard who had died in 1978. Waimea Bay came upon its last ‘Eddie’ six years ago.
2. Iran is willing to pay terrorists who launch attacks against Israel. That is the latest announcement of Iranian ambassador to Lebanon Mohammed Fattah Ali during a press conference in Beirut. According to The Clarion Project, the Iranian ambassador even made the terms clear. If an attacker gets killed, the family will get $7,000. And if the attacker’s house gets destroyed by Israeli authorities, the family will receive $30,000. He also asked Lebanon to unite with Iran in fighting Israel, saying that “the martyrs’ blood will release the entire Palestine, from the river to the sea.”
3. Serbian hostages weren’t killed in Libya airstrike. The Pentagon said there no evidence to support the claim that two Serbian hostages were among the casualties of the strike launched against ISIS in Libya last week. Moreover, Navy Capt. Jeff Davis also said that they had conducted surveillance of the training camp they targeted for weeks and found no indication of any civilians being present.
4. Pizza delivery leads to capture of international forgery ring. Iranian national Hamid Reza Jafary is wanted in a number of countries. He is known as “The Doctor,” an expert in passport forgery who regularly supplies customers in the Middle East with fake passports for use in trips to Europe and Australia. He had been great at avoiding police too, but not so careful when calling for a pizza. According to the Bangkok Post, the phone number Jafary used to order pizza was the same number police found on the phone of one of his customers. From here, police found his hideout.
5. Afghan boy receives shirt from Lionel Messi. 5-year old Murtaza Ahmadi is a very happy boy. He has just received a very special package from Argentine soccer legend Leo Messi: his very own Messi jersey. This happened after photos of Ahmadi sporting a makeshift Messi jersey made of plastic bag went viral. Today, he has the real thing and Messi even left a special message for him. “I love Messi and my shirt says Messi loves me,” says Ahmadi.
6. Zuckerberg tells staff to stop crossing out “Black lives matter” in company wall. Mark Zuckerberg took a post and told his staff that they should stop crossing out “black lives matter” and replacing it with “all lives matter” at MPK. The Facebook CEO says he is “already very disappointed” by what is happening. He also stated that “‘Black lives matter’ doesn’t mean other lives don’t — it’s simply asking that the black community also achieves the justice they deserve.” The issue is now under investigation.
7. “Game of Thrones” actor casts in “Iron Fist.” It seems “Game of Thrones'” Finn Jones is headed to Marvel. According to a report from Entertainment Weekly, Jones has been tapped to play the lead role in the upcoming series “Iron Fist,” which is set to debut on Netflix. Some Marvel fans, however, believes an Asian should be cast for the lead role.