NBA Trade News: Golden State Warriors, Harrison Barnes Suspend Contract Extension Talks
The Golden State Warriors and Harrison Barnes have broken off their contract extension talks. The deadline for ratifying an agreement is November 2. Earlier in September, Barnes rejected a $64 million, four-year contract extension offer.Advertisement
Talks were suspended at the request of Barnes only.
“The deal has to work for Harrison and the organization,” said Bob Myers about the recent dismissal of talks. “And I always — maybe it’s my background (as a player agent) — but I always respect the position that an athlete takes in these situations. And now, representing the organization, we’re going to make the decision the best decision for us.
“I would not say they’re disappointed, would not say frustrated. Like I said, Barnes has conducted himself tremendously well — as has his representative — and I think we ended the discussions in a very healthy place, if that’s possible. And I say that will all sincerity.”
The end of talks makes Barnes a restricted free agent at the end of the season. Speaking to the media, Barnes pointed out that he doesn’t think the contract situation will take a toll on his on-court career.
“No real worries. I approach the season the same, The possibility of getting hurt, the possibility of getting X, Y and Z numbers, all that kind of stuff. It’s all there whether you have a contract or not.”