‘Miss Universe’ 2016 Update: Philippines Hosting Pageant Confirmed!

‘Miss Universe’ 2016 Update: Philippines Hosting Pageant Confirmed!
Miss Universe 2015 Winner Miss Universe /Facebook

After months of debates and speculations, it is finally confirmed that “Miss Universe” 2016 will be hosted by the Philippines!


The ongoing confusion about PH being the next host country for “Miss Universe” has finally come to end. Today at a press conference, the Tourism Secretary Wanda Teo announced that the Philippines had shouldered the responsibility of hosting the much-coveted beauty pageant next year.

The initiative of bringing back the beauty pageant to the Philippines after more than two decades was originally taken by Teo, with the view that “people abroad will start looking at the map and see where the Philippines is” and hopefully the struggling Tourism industry in PH will get a much-needed boost.

She even went ahead and arranged for the reigning Miss Universe, Pia Wurtbach, to meet up with PH president Rodrigo Duterte, earlier this month. Pia tried her best to convince Duterte that he should campaign for PH to be considered among the countries which were most likely to host the event next year.

Like us on Facebook

Miss Universe’ 2016/ 2017 Update

However, in a small gathering of friends and reporters in Davao recently, Duterte seemed to be not-so-enthused by the idea of PH hosting “Miss Universe” pageant.

This is due to the fact that hosting “Miss Universe” in a PH means an estimated expenditure of around $12 US dollars. “Dili ko. Gasto” (I don’t like. Expensive), Duterte had said, reported Minda News, “I will not waste money on that.”

Read Also: ‘Miss Universe 2016’ Update: Contestants & Photos

This automatically led everyone to assume that the plans of Philippines hosting “Miss Universe” were definitely dashed for the time being.

‘Miss Universe’ 2017 News

However, things are back on track, as Teo has announced, reports Rappler, that PH will definitely be hosting “ Miss Universe” 2016, which will take place on Jan 30, 2017!

“The government is not going to spend any single centavo. It will be the private sector who would shoulder the expenses,” added Teo.

Tourism Undersecretary Kat de Castro further rubbished the news that President Duterte had qualms about hosting the Pageant in PH.

“He said, okay. ‘This is already okay’ So we don’t know where the news report came from that he did not like it. He never said that,” clarified Castro.

For the latest ‘Miss Universe’ 2017 News please stay tuned in to this site.

Read Also: ‘Miss Universe’ 2016 Update: PH President Duterte Considers Pageant A Waste Of Money?