Michael Brown’s Family Files Lawsuit Against City Of Ferguson
The family of 18-year-old Michael Brown is seeking for justice. They will file a lawsuit against the city of Ferguson for unlawfully shooting the unarmed Brown in Missouri last year. The family’s lawyer announced on Wednesday that they will move the case to court.
Brown’s family will speak about the lawsuit at a press conference outside St. Louis County Courthouse in Clayton on Thursday morning. Michael Brown’s killing by white police officer Darren Wilson stirred nationwide outrage. In November, the grand jury decided not to charge Wilson, adding fuel to the protests. In early March, Attorneys Anthony Gray and Daryl Parks promised the lawsuit against the Ferguson police officer.
“They have accepted (Wilson’s) self-defense,” Parks told reporters at the time. “We do not accept his self-defense.”
Following the report, several Ferguson officials, including the city police chief and the city manager, resigned from their respective posts.
The teen’s parents, Michael Brown Sr. and Lesley McSpadden, expressed disappointment when the jury in March released a statement saying the officer won’t face any charges.
“We feel and we’ve always felt from the very beginning that Officer Darren Wilson did not have to shoot and kill Mike Brown Jr. in broad daylight in the manner that he did, that he had other options available to him, and that he chose deadly force as his option. And we plan to demonstrate in a court of law to reasonable-minded people that the choice to use deadly force was unreasonable and unnecessary under those circumstances,” said Anthony Gray.
In a separate investigation, it was found that Ferguson Police Department was subjected to racial bias.