Manny Pacquiao Next Fight: Adrien Broner Wants Shot At ‘Pacman’
Reigning World Boxing Association super lightweight champion Adrien Broner strongly believes he deserves a shot at Manny Pacquiao. The world champion known as “The Problem” is convinced he is the best option for the Filipino boxing icon, not Jessie Vargas.Advertisement
Pacquiao, who has a 58-6-2 record with 38 knockout victories, will come out of retirement in November. The 37-year-old superstar will go up against Vargas, the reigning World Boxing Organization welterweight champion, on Nov. 5 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.
Broner blasted Pacquiao for facing Vargas. The Ohio native reiterated that he should be the best option for Pacquiao, expressing confidence that he has what it takes to beat the former pound-for-pound king.
“I would have a big possibility of stopping Pacquiao if we fought,” Broner told ESNews via BoxingScene. “I can hit with both hands, I can match his speed, and I’m a sharper puncher than Pacquiao, if you ask me.”
The Problem even added that a Broner-Pacquiao showdown will be bigger that a rematch between Pacquiao and his former tormentor, Floyd Mayweather Jr. The 27-year-old revealed that he previously talked to Pacquiao’s camp about a possible fight but the talks did not materialize.
Broner said that he was very willing to collide with Pacquiao. However, he pointed out that he had to turn down the offer because he deserves more money than what Pacquiao’s handlers are offering him.
“It was very close,” Broner said of agreeing to face Pacquiao via Fight Saga. “”I was actually talking to Pacquiao’s manager. He was calling me, and I was calling him. But their numbers weren’t right. I know my worth.”
Previous reports indicated that Top Rank Promotions CEO Bob Arum offered $4 million to Broner, which could have been a career-high payday for him. However, the four-division world champion priced himself out of the bout after allegedly asking for $10 million guaranteed purse.