Mali Hotel Attack Update: Two Suspects Having Links To Attack Arrested
Two suspects having alleged links to an attack on a hotel in the capital of Mali were arrested on Thursday by the authorities, the security ministry said.Advertisement
The incident occurred Friday last week (just a week after the Paris attacks), when at least two gunmen entered the Radisson Blu Hotel in Bamako, opened fire and killed 20 people, including six Russians, three Chinese and an American. The attackers were reportedly shouting Islamic slogans.
It is being considered as the worst jihadist attack on the West African country in years.
Hours later, Malian commandos entered the hotel and freed 170 hostages that the gunmen had been holding as hostage. Two attackers, who were armed with AK-47 assault rifles, were killed in the siege that lasted nine hours. On Thursday, Malian Security Minister, Salif Traore, said, “[The gunmen] opened fire from the entrance of the hotel, in the lobby, the restaurant, various corridors. They fired on people indiscriminately,” he said.
“There are two suspects arrested,” Amadou Sangho, spokesman for the ministry, said. Sangho did not reveal the names of the suspects, according to Newsweek. The two suspects were brought in for interrogation after credible information was found in one of the assailants’ mobile phone, a source close to the investigation said.