Gennady Golovkin vs Canelo Alvarez Fight Will Finally Happen In 2017

Gennady Golovkin vs Canelo Alvarez Fight Will Finally Happen In 2017
Visita del boxeador Saúl “Canelo” Álvarez a la Residencia Oficial de Los PinosPresidencia de la República Mexicana/ Flickr cc

The highly-anticipated bout between Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez will finally happen next year. Golden Boy Promotions head honcho Oscar De La Hoya said the fight is too big and too lucrative to not happen in 2017.


As of the moment both fighters are gearing up for separate matches next month. Golovkin will put his WBC, IBF and IBO middleweight titles on the line against IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook on September 10. A week after, Alvarez will take on British pugilist Liam Smith for the WBO light middleweight title.

The potential Golovkin vs Alvarez showdown is still a full year away. Both camps have verbally agreed on a September 2017 fight. This early, De La Hoya is already promoting the fight to make sure the verbal agreement becomes signatures on dotted lines.

Also Read: Terence Crawford Could Shock Manny Pacquiao, Says Juan Manuel Marquez

Like us on Facebook

“This fight here, we can’t afford to wait longer than 2017,” De La Hoya shared to International Business Times, via Boxing Scene. “I think this fight right here is the biggest fight that boxing has today, and I think this fight would do huge numbers because of the fact that the fans know that it‘ll be a fight. It’ll be a knockout fight. It’ll be like Hagler-Hearns all over again.”

Alvarez was poised to fight Golovkin after he defeated Miguel Cotto in late 2015. The fight never came into fruition as the Mexican boxer asked WBC for an extension. Alvarez then fought and won against Amir Khan earlier this year.

In a shocking turn of events, Alvarez vacated his WBC middleweight belt and announced he was moving down to light middleweight to challenge WBO titleholder Liam Smith. When asked if he would move up in weight to prepare for Golovkin should he beat Smith next month, Alvarez said he is solely focused on taking Smith’s belt rather than what happens after.

“I can’t keep fighting this fight thinking about Golovkin,” he told Boxing News Online. “I’m preparing for Liam Smith. That’s what’s important to me. My train of thought is not to see what’s down the line. I’ve got to get ready for the fight. This is a real fight. I’m not the one that has to prepare for Golovkin. He better prepare for me.”

A boxing junkie? Subscribe to our newsletter or follow us on Twitter and Facebook.