Connect with us

Formula 1 News: Fernando Alonso Out Of Bahrain Race, Not Sure If He Can Race In China

Formula 1 News: Fernando Alonso Out Of Bahrain Race, Not Sure If He Can Race In China
Fernando Alonso

Sports

Formula 1 News: Fernando Alonso Out Of Bahrain Race, Not Sure If He Can Race In China

It seems the crash that Fernando Alonso was involved in during the first race of the this year’s Formula 1 season in Australia is still haunting him. The McLaren driver has just revealed that he has no choice but to sit out the upcoming grand prix race in Bahrain due to medical reasons.

It seems the crash that Fernando Alonso was involved in during the first race of the this year’s Formula 1 season in Australia is still haunting him. The McLaren driver has revealed that he has no choice but to sit out the upcoming grand prix race in Bahrain due to medical reasons.

According to the FIA, a comparison of two sets of chest CT scans from Alonso revealed that “there was insufficient resolution of the signs to allow him to compete on safety grounds.” The two-time champion underwent a medical examination at the Sakhir circuit on Thursday morning, and it was revealed that he has not recovered sufficiently following his Australia crash.

The crash that took place during the Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix left Alonso barreling mid-air in his car after he ended up clipping the left rear of Esteban Gutierrez’s Haas car as they approached Turn 3. Following the accident, both Alonso and Gutierrez managed to walk away from the scene.

Later, Alonso remarked, “We both tried to fight and obviously sometimes we forget we are at 300km/h and every little crash can become much bigger.”

Following the announcement, Alonso took to Instagram to send a message to his fans. He explained, “I tried until the last minute to race in Bahrain after the accident in Australia.” However, it soon became clear to him that racing this soon after the crash was not possible at all.

During a recent press conference, Alonso said he felt “okay” following the accident in Australia and only felt “some knee pain, but not big things.” He was even allowed to leave the track. The following day, the two-time world champion said he started feeling “a bit of overall pain.” Once he had arrived in Spain, he got himself checked out and it was found that Alonso had a “small pneumothorax [collapse] on the lung.”

After taking some rest, Alonso says the “pneumothorax is gone more or less.” However, the McLaren driver also suffered some rib fractures.

“And because F1 is a very unique position in the car, and with the g-forces, there was a risk the fractures could move into the lung,” he explained. Moreover, Alonso revealed that his chances of being able to race in China, the next race in the Formula 1 calendar, is “not 100 percent.”

Meanwhile, driver Stoffel Vandoorne will take Alonso’s place in the Bahrain race as he recovers. Following the announcement, Vandoorne tweeted, “About to board for Bahrain, a bit earlier than expected but so much looking forward to it! Will do my very best for the team.”

Also read: Formula 1 News: Jenson Button Says Fernando Alonso Could Have Used Halo In Crash

Related: Formula 1 News: Red Bull Headed To Oman For F1 Demo, Will Fernando Alonso Miss Bahrain Race?

Related: Formula 1 News: Rosberg Wins After Dramatic Melbourne Race

Related: Formula 1 News: Pirelli Reveals Team Tire Choices For Bahrain

If you want more Formula 1 news, subscribe to our newsletter or follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

About Jennifer Ong

Jennifer Ong has been covering and writing stories since 1998. Over the years, she has worked on stories on business, health, lifestyle, entertainment and travel. She has also previously written shows for television.When she's not on the job, she enjoys wine and Formula 1.

More in Sports

Good News

MNU EXCLUSIVES

To Top