A 28-year-old woman became the latest victim of a shark attack.
The woman, who has not been identified, was bitten by a shark while she was wading in Cocoa Beach waters on Sunday, with several people on the beach. Local emergency personnel responded to the scene within minutes. The woman was treated on the scene and was later taken to the Holmes Regional Medical Center, as reported by the Inquisitr.
While she sustained a six inch laceration on her ankle, her condition is reportedly stable. The shark was between three to six feet in length. The species of the shark has not been determined as of yet. According to USA Today, Chief Jeff Scabarozi, Brevard County Ocean Rescue, noted, “There’s a plethora of sharks in the area. Bull sharks, black tip, spinners.”
Holly Petersen, a witness, said, “I looked over at her and she said, ‘Somebody help me!’ I saw the fin come up and slap her in the face, and she said, ‘It got me,’ so I grabbed her hand and drug her back to the shore.” Another witness managed to capture the incident in a video and posted it on social media.
There were as many as 11 rescues that took place along Brevard County beaches Sunday. “The swells weren’t that bad, which made it more inviting for swimmers,” Scabarozi said.
The dramatic increase in the number of shark attacks in Hawaii, which more than doubled in the last decade, can be attributed to more people entering the water, which elevates the probability of an attack, authorities say.
A few days ago, a 10-year-old boy was bitten by a shark in Hawaii. In September, a 12-year-old boy sustained injuries to his legs when a shark bit him on Florida’s Fernandina Beach. In May this year, two shark attacks were recorded – the first one, wherein a 19-year-old teen was attacked on the New Smyrna Beach; and the second, where a 13-year-old was attacked on the Cocoa Beach.
Of the 52 unprovoked attacks reported last year, more than half were in Florida, NBC News reports. Ten of these occurred in Volusia County, while is located just north of Cocoa Beach. Seventy two attacks were reported internationally last year. The attacks led to three deaths – one in South Africa and two in Australia.