Dubai Hotel Catches Fire, Panic And Fear Reported By Witnesses
In the wake of the New Year’s Eve celebrations, the Address Downtown Hotel in Dubai caught fire on Thursday as the fireworks in the emirates were lit to celebrate the new year.Advertisement
The 63-storey building was caught on tape ablaze from the fire that engulfed it. As this was happening, the New Year’s Eve plans from the nearby Burj Khalifa, went on and fireworks were still lit.
At least 16 people were injured in the fire, with most sustaining only minor injuries. In a tweet from the Dubai government, there was once case of a heart attack due to “overcrowding and smoke.”
As of press time, there are no reports as to the cause of the fire, according to BBC. However, there are initial reports that the fire started on the 20th floor. Witnesses noted that there was a stampede as people searched for safety from the falling debris.
The fire started around 9:30 local time, according to the Daily Mail.
Nadia Huraimi of BBC also noted that the hotel, overlooking Burj Khalifa, has been fully booked 5 years in advance.
For those affected by the fire, there are available options for accommodation to house them in.
Burj Khalifa is currently the tallest building in the world. It’s one of the most popular tourist spots in Dubai.
— Astro AWANI (@501Awani) January 1, 2016
If you are a tourist in the area and have something to say, tweet us at @MorningNewsUSA.