Donald Trump Sues Univision For $500 Million Over Miss USA Pageant

Donald Trump Sues Univision For $500 Million Over Miss USA Pageant
Donald Trump Gage Skidmore / Flickr CC BY-SA 2.0

Following Univision’s decision to not air the Spanish-language broadcast of the Miss USA pageant, and also to terminate its contract with the Miss Universe Organization, Donald Trump sued the network for $500 million.


Univision’s announcement of not broadcasting the event scheduled to take place on July 12 came after Trump made “insulting remarks about Mexican immigrants” in his speech for the presidential candidacy, according to ABC News.

NBC Universal, too, followed Univision’s footsteps and announced it will sever its ties with the billionaire real estate developer. Mexico has already pulled its contestant from the competition.

Trump had said in his speech, “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

Like us on Facebook

The lawsuit states that Univision and Trump’s Miss Universe Organization had reached an agreement in January, according to which Univision bought the rights to broadcast the 2015 through 2019 Miss USA, Miss Teen USA and Miss Universe pageants. According to Politico, Univision agreed to pay $2.5 million from 2015 until 2017, and $3 million for 2018 and 2019. Univision also said it will make “reasonable efforts” to air the pageants for two to three hours on a Sunday night.

The lawsuit also says that Trump received a call from a Univision executive who said that the network had been “inundated with calls demanding that Univision immediately terminate its relationship” with Trump. The executive further said that Univision could “no longer sell” the pageant to its sponsors or viewers, and apologized to Trump for not airing the pageant.

However, Univision CEO Randy Falco, writing in a memo to the staff, said that no apology was issued to Trump.

“I can also assure you that we never apologized because we have nothing to apologize for,” Falco said.

Univision spokesperson Monica Talan wrote in an email, “We just reviewed Mr. Trump’s complaint for the first time, and it is both factually false and legally ridiculous. We will not only vigorously defend the case, but will continue to fight against Mr. Trump’s ongoing efforts to run away from the derogatory comments he made on June 16th about Mexican immigrants. Our decision to end our business relationship with Mr. Trump was influenced solely by our responsibility to speak up for the community we serve.”

According to NPR, Trump defended his stand and did not back down from what he said.

“There is a high level of crime occurring in this country due to unchecked illegal immigration. This is a major security issue for the United States,” he said.

You might also be interested in: Smoking Ban Leads To Riots In Melbourne Prison