An Indian court pardoned one of the accused of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, David Headley, accepting him as a prosecution witness.
According to the Times of India, the court accepted Headley’s plea to be made an approver in exchange for pardon. Headley appeared before a sessions court, which asked him to reveal all the information he had earlier to the U.S. court, through a video link from an undisclosed location in the U.S.
“I have received the charging document filed against me in this court,” Headley said. “It charges me with same conduct for which I was charged in the US. I had pleaded guilty to the charges in the US and I admitted that I was participant in these charges,” Headley said. “I accepted responsibility for my role in those offences in my plea agreement (in US). I also agreed to make myself available as a witness in this court. I appear here ready to answer questions regarding these events if I receive a pardon from this court.”
Judge G.A. Sanap said, “Accused David Headley is tendered pardon as per section 307 of Code of Criminal Procedure….Headley would be the prosecution witnesses in the case.” The court said that Headley was being pardoned on grounds of him disclosing “every fact.” He is scheduled to depose through video conference on February 8.
He is currently serving a 35-year prison sentence for his involvement in the Mumbai attacks on November 26, 2008, which killed 166 people including several foreigners, and for conspiring to attack a Danish newspaper.
During multiple trips to India between 2006 and 2008, Headley took videos and possible target locations of the attacks. He provided vital information to the 10 LeT terrorists and their handlers who carried out the attacks. According to Daily News and Analysis, the police said that Headley had conspired with LeT and carried out illegal acts in India, waged war against the Indian government and committed offenses under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.