‘Dangerous Inmates’ O.C. Jail Prison Break: Video, Photos &Everything We Know
Authorities announced $50,000 reward for three dangerous inmates who broke out from the Orange County Jail on Friday. The men are armed and people are highly advised not to approach them. The daring prison break was the first in 20 years.Advertisement
The three dangerous inmates are Hossein Nayeri, 37, who had been in prison since Sept. 2014, Jonathan Tieu, 20, and Bac Duong, 43. They went missing from the Orange County Central Men’s Jail in Santa Ana around 9pm on Friday according to an announcement from the Orange County Sheriff’s Department.
Nayeri was charged of kidnapping, torture, burglary and aggravated mayhem and was being held without bail. Tieu was charged for murder, attempted murder, and shooting at an inhabited dwelling. He had been held on $1 million bond since October 2013. Duong was ineligible for bail because of an immigration hold; he was charged of possession of a firearm, possession of stolen property, vehicle theft, attempted murder, assault with deadly weapon and shooting at inhabited dwelling.
Lt. Jeff Hallock of the Orange County Sheriff’s Department said the break out was well thought out and well planned. The three inmates were believed to have been scheming for weeks or months, Hallock told a press conference. The three escapees cut through ½-inch steel bars, made their way through plumbing tunnels before finally penetrating an unsecured area in the O.C. jail. In this location, they managed to push aside barbed wire, used a rope made from sheets and clothing and rappelled to the ground. Investigators are still looking in the possibility that they have both help from the inside and the outside complex Hallock told press.
Sheriff Sandra Hutchens one big factor that contributed to the successful O.C. jail prison break is that the facility is old and has outdated layout. She stressed that the jail still followed a “linear facility.” Such design allowed inmates to move freely from one area into another within the day. The three escapees were kept in a dormitory-style cell referred to as “tank” where sixty-eight men are being housed according to the Los Angeles Times, citing statement from Carrie Braun, public affairs manager for the Orange County Sheriff’s Department.
Hallock told ABC News that the priority now is to catch the escapees. A separate investigation is being conducted to know whether other prisoners or jail employees were involved in the escape, he added.
The U.S. Marshals Service announced a $30,000 ($10,000 for each inmate). The FBI offered a reward of up to $20,000 for information that of significant help to track down the escapees. Anyone with information is encouraged to call the Sheriff’s Department at 714-647-7000 or 714-628-7085.