OnePlus recently rolled out Android Marshmallow update for OnePlus One and OnePlus 2. However, the company did not mention anything about the Marshmallow update to OnePlus X, which was promised to deploy as soon as possible.
We are three months past 2016, and still there is no official word about the update to OnePlus X. Instead of waiting for the OS to arrive, you can try and install CyanogenMod CM 13 custom ROM on the device to enjoy Android Marshmallow features.
Developed by software programmers of XDA Developer Forum, CyaonogenMod CM13 series firmware brings the best features of Android Marshmallow, including Now on Tap, Doze, enhanced boot security and several other value-added features. Bear in mind that there are a few prerequisites to be followed for installing custom ROM on OnePlus X.
- Make sure that you install the firmware only on OnePlus X aka Onyx models. To check for the correct phone model, go to Settings – About Phone -Model Number.
- Installing custom ROM helps improve the phone’s UI experience and performance. However, the company warranty becomes void in the process.
- After installing custom ROM, the phone’s memory will get erased. So ensure a backup of all data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/TWRP.
- Before connecting the OnePlus X with your PC, make sure that you have installed USB drivers on your PC.
- Last but not the least, make sure that your phone has at least 80-percent battery power.
Step-by-step Installation Process
- First, download CyanogenMod CM13 (unofficial) Android 6.0 Marshmallow and Google Apps on your PC.
- Second, connect your OnePlus X device with your PC through the USB cord.
- Third, copy Android Marshmallow custom ROM zip file and Google Apps file from the PC’s memory to the phone’s memory.
- Fourth, switch off your phone and disconnect it from the PC.
- Fifth, you should perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding Power and Volume Down buttons.
- Sixth, choose RECOVERY mode and select “wipe data/factory reset” for clearing the phone memory. Then, choose “wipe cache partition,” to clear the cache memory.
- Seventh, access the main recovery screen and select “install zip from SD card.”
- Eighth, tap on “choose zip from SDcard,” and then select the installation process from Android M ROM Zip file, according to IBTimes.
For more technology news, you can subscribe to our newsletter. If you are a social media junkie and would like to receive updates on your timeline, then you can also like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.