Conor McGregor Next Fight: Showdown With Jose Aldo In The Works?
Conor McGregor is open to a third fight with Nate Diaz. However, the reigning Ultimate Fighting Championship featherweight champion might be forced to defend his title against Jose Aldo.Advertisement
McGregor avenge his loss to Diaz earlier this year with a majority decision win at UFC 202 on Saturday. Now that the two fighters have one win against each other, there is a major call for another fight to complete a trilogy.
But not so fast according to UFC president Dana White. White pointed out that he is not too high about a third fight. Instead, he said that McGregor should defend his title or just relinquish it if he wants to face other fighters.
White said that McGregor should face Jose Aldo, the interim featherweight champion. “Conor is either going to go defend his title or give his title up and then we’ll figure out where to go from there,” White said via MMA Fighting.
White knows, though, that the McGregor-Aldo fight is not set in stone. Aldo has been pushing for a rematch against McGregor but the latter appears uninterested in facing the former champion again.
In fact, McGregor told Fox Sports that he sees no reason to face Aldo again. He said that he previously waited several years before he got a shot at Aldo but only needed 13 seconds to beat him at UFC 194. He is also not too impressed with Aldo’s win over Frankie Edgar at UFC 200 in July.
“It’s hard for me to get excited about that, especially after his last performance,” McGregor said. “It was a decision, he didn’t go out and get it. He didn’t go out and get it like I wanted him to get it. So I don’t know, we’ll see.”
For now, McGregor plans to take a break before looking at his options. The 28-year-old is also being linked to Floyd Mayweather again, BoxingScene reported. The Ireland native said that he is open to facing Mayweather if the price is right.