Confidential Draft Report Of MH17 Crash Now In Hands Of Participating Countries
Copies of the confidential draft report that seeks to shed light into the fatal downing of Malaysia Airlines MH17 have been sent to representatives of participating countries. The Australian Transport Safety Bureau received its copy a month ago.
The Dutch Safety Board said Wednesday the involved countries are expected to make comments on the draft report. The said countries include Malaysia, Ukraine, the United States, Russia, the United Kingdom, Australia and the Netherlands. They are given 60 days, or until August 1, to submit their respective comments. The final report is expected in October.
Details of the confidential draft were not released. A report by the Sydney Morning Herald says that the draft report already contains conclusions. While the content of the report remains secret, it already has the final conclusions made by an international team of investigators. The group has been working to determine the cause of the tragedy since last year.
The Dutch Safety Board released a preliminary report in September 2014 that said a “large number of high-energy objects” hit and downed the Boeing 777-200ER aircraft bearing Flight 17 bound to Kuala Lumpur from Amsterdam. It noted the plane wasn’t even experiencing any internal malfunction prior to the contact.
The report, however, didn’t explicitly mention it was a missile that hit the plane.
The plane crashed near Torez in Donetsk Oblast, Ukraine, 40 kilometers (25 mi) away from the Russian border July 17, 2014. All 283 passengers and 15 crew died.
A report by the Malaysian Insider noted the creation of a UN tribunal which will hear out on the case. The Netherlands, Malaysia, Australia, Belgium and the UK proposed it, but Russia branded it as untimely and “counterproductive.”