People are outraged that NFL star Colin Kaepernick could insult the national anthem publicly! Find out more about who he is.
Enraged fans in San Francisco are burning Colin Kaepernick’s jerseys and more people on social media are simply aghast that Colin Kaepernick could show anti-patriotic sentiments, especially being a sportsperson who represents the U.S.
In order protest against racial discrimination that growing by the day in America, Colin Kaepernick refused to stand when the national anthem played during the pre-season game on 26th August.
His reason – “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”
However, while Colin’s intention was noble, his act was less so and sure enough, hurt the sentiments of many people who were gathered there to watch the game. As a result, people took to social media to bash Colin’s actions, reports Hollywood Life.
“People die every single day defending that flag you refuse to stand for and I won’t stand for that. This jersey was the worst $50 investment I have ever had … you should never play in the NFL again, move to Canada,” said the fan, who had uploaded a video on Instagram which showed him burning Colin’s jersey.
So, who is Colin Kaepernick?
Colin Kaepernick Facts
- Colin Kaepernick was born in Milwaukee on November 3, 1987, Wisconsin, and attended the University of Nevada, reports Biography.
- After setting a number of school and college records, he joined the San Francisco 49ers in 2011.
- Colin, a bi-racial kid, was adopted by white parents, Rick and Teresa Kaepernick, as soon as he was born. He had to face bullying and criticism in school from his peers, who teased him for having colored skin in spite of white parents.
- Colin began playing as a quarterback in the youth football league when he was just 8.
- If he did not take up football, he would have become a pitcher, because he could throw a 94 miles/hour fastball.
- He became the first-team All-District, All-Conference and All-Academic selection when he studied at John H. Pitman High School in Turlock.
- At college, he became the first quarterback in the history of Division I FBS to pass for more than 10,000 yards and run for more than 4,000 yards.
- Kaepernick graduated from a back up to a frontrunner in 2012, when the number one quarterback of NFL was forced to sit out. There was no looking back from there.
For the latest Colin Kaepernick News please stay tuned in to this site.