A landslide buried several buildings as it swept through the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen. At least 91 people were reported missing.
As many as 33 buildings in Shenzhen, which is a major manufacturing center in Guangdong province, were buried in the incident, according to the official Xinhua news agency. It added that 59 men and 32 women were reportedly missing as of Monday morning. The landslide had not caused any fatalities.
According to BBC, two workers’ dormitories were impacted by the landslide. The Public Security Bureau’s firefighting bureau said that the soil had covered an area of 20,000 square meters.
A local worker said that he saw “red earth and mud running towards the company building,” as reported by Xinhua news agency. Another resident said there was a “loud explosion” when the landslide struck.
In excess of 900 people had been evacuated, according to Li Yikang, the deputy secretary general of the Shenzhen city government. As many as 1,500 people were involved in rescue efforts. Most of the people have been moved to safety, Ren Jiguang, the deputy chief of Shenzhen’s public security bureau, said.
As reported by Fox News, the landslide occurred after soil piled against a 100 meter high hill slid down. As part of construction work, the soil had been dug up in the last two years. The landslide had caused an explosion at a nearby gas station, a statement on Weibo from the Shenzhen municipal government said.