Boxing News: Gennady Golovkin Could Face Chris Eubank, Not Canelo Alvarez

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Share on LinkedIn
Pin to Pinterest
Share on StumbleUpon
What's This?

Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn recently revealed that negotiations to pit undefeated middleweight kingpin Gennady Golovkin against second-generation British middleweight champion Chris Eubank Jr. are heading the right direction.


Eubank will still face Welsh pugilist Tom Doran at the O2 Arena in London on June 25. After that, it will be an open season for a potential Golovkin-Eubank clash.

“When we started working with Chris Eubank again, the message was clear: Make the Gennady Golovkin fight,” Hearn told Sky Sports. “I asked them behind closed doors whether it was a joke but they told me ‘It’s real – make the fight’. And over the last couple of weeks that’s what we’ve been doing.”

Hearn added that Eubank must defeat Doran to further hype up the Golovkin fight. If Eubank successfully defends his British middleweight title next weekend, a collision course with GGG could happen as early as September.

Like us on Facebook

“We’re in a position now where we haven’t agreed terms but we’re well on the way to agreeing terms with Golovkin for a September fight with Chris Eubank Jr,” Hearn explained. “He [Doran] can really, really punch and if Eubank takes his eye off the ball he can forget about the likes of Golovkin.”

Many challengers have expressed interest in squaring off against Golovkin, but only few muster the intestinal fortitude to actually pursue the fight. As per Box Rec, the 34-year-old Kazakh hasn’t tasted defeat in his professional career.

In 35 bouts, GGG has knocked the opposition cold a total of 32 times. Statistically speaking, he would have a 91 percent chance of knocking out Eubank if the two ever met in the ring.

While he is arguably the best middleweight fighter in boxing today, Golovkin still has a chip on his shoulder after the WBC middleweight championship belt was awarded to him last month.

There have been talks that he might want to vindicate the belt by beating Canelo Alvarez, the fighter who vacated it in the first, BoxingScene reported. Alvarez, the former WBC middleweight champion, is also planning to fight in September.

For more boxing news, you can subscribe to our newsletter. If you are a social media junkie and would like to receive updates on your timeline, then you can also like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.