Battle For Aleppo: Airstrikes Leave Residents Without Running Water

Battle For Aleppo: Airstrikes Leave Residents Without Running Water
Azaz Syria during the Syrian Civil War Missing front of House Voice of America News: Scott Bob report from Azaz, Syria. / Wikimedia Commons Public Domain

As the Battle for Aleppo rages on, the UN reports that nearly two million people are left without water. The precious resource is slowly becoming a luxury as airstrikes on Friday prevented repairs to pumping stations supplying rebel-held areas of the city.


The stations were damaged on Thursday and successive airstrikes have thwarted attempts to repair them. This left 200,000 people in the rebel districts without running water.

According to the BBC, this caused the rebels to retaliate and switched off another pumping station supplying the rest of the city. This has left another 1.5 million people in areas captured by the government with nothing to drink.

Also Read: Syria News – US-Backed Army Brutalizes Syrian Child In Uncensored Video

Like us on Facebook

UNICEF Deputy Director Justin Forsyth described the shutdown as “the latest act of inhumanity” in the Battle for Aleppo. UNICEF spokesman Kieran Dwyer said that the lack of running water could be “catastrophic” for the people of the city. Residents are now resorting to drinking contaminated water and are at risk of contracting waterborne diseases.

“Water Is Being Used As A Weapon By Both Sides In The Battle For Aleppo”

According to Dwyer, the resource is being used by both sides as weapons of war. As both sides battle for the control of the water supply, the residents of the war-torn city continue to suffer.

Al Jazeera reported that citizens of Aleppo are now crying out for help as Syrian and Russian jets carry out “ferocious bombardment” of the city. Last Friday’s bombing alone leveled neighborhoods and left at least 91 people dead.

Also Read: Syria Aleppo News – Facts About White Helmets, Group Saving Civilians In Syria

More strikes were carried out on Saturday as government forces continue to push in order to capture rebel held areas. This latest offensive by the Assad regime comes after the ceasefire between the two forces collapsed on Monday.

The ceasefire was brokered by Russia and the US to allow much needed humanitarian aid to reach the battle-ravaged city.”We are trying to help the injured; those who survived … but the situation is catastrophic” said one resident. He further added that it’s as if the Russians and the Assad regime have been given the green light to slaughter them all.

Over 400,000 Syrians are estimated to have been killed in the Syrian Civil War. The conflict, which began as a largely unarmed revolt, against the regime has since escalated to a full-blown armed conflict.

The Battle for Aleppo is the latest in the Syrian government’s efforts to quell the rebellion. The intervention of Russia has since turned the tide in favor of the Assad regime which was previously on the verge of collapse.

Watch the video here:

Also Read: Syrian Boy In Ambulance – Syrian Civil War Victim His Name Is Omran Daqneesh, And He Is 5 Years Old

Want to get updated with the latest international stories? Subscribe to our newsletter or follow us on Twitter and Facebook.