Australian Teen Jake Bilardi Killed In Iraq Suicide Bombing
The latest in a series of terrorist acts done by ISIS involves the alleged suicide bombing of Australian teenager Jake Bilardi, who went missing from his Melbourne home earlier and whose passport was canceled last October. He is supposed to have died from the incident in Iraq.
Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said they are still trying to confirm the report, according to CNN.
“I can confirm that the Australian government is currently seeking to independently verify reports that 18-year-old Melbourne teenager Jake Bilardi has been killed in a suicide bombing attack in the Middle East,” she told reporters.
Information about Bilardi, dubbed by ISIS as “Abu Abdullah al-Australi,” was given on Wednesday. The terrorist organization had claimed Bilardi, along with four more foreign fighters, was killed after an attempted suicide bombing in Ramadi, Iraq.
Twenty images, including one with a young man who resembles Bilardi, have been released to the public.
According to Bishop, there are 90 Australians fighting for ISIS and at least 20 of them have been killed so far. The passports of 100 Australians have been cancelled on security grounds.
Bishop appealed to young Australians “not to fall victim to this brutal terrorist organization, to not be lured into believing that they’re embarking on some adventure or some romantic endeavor.”
She warned about the misery and hardship associated with joining ISIS, further saying how the organization takes the world toward the dark ages with their “beheadings and executions and crucifixions.”
Tony Abbott, Australian Prime Minister, expressed his concern over the incident. “It’s very, very important that we do everything we can to try to safeguard our young people against the lure of this shocking alien and extreme ideology.”
The news comes after reports saying two teen brothers from Australia were apprehended for allegedly attempting to leave the country and join ISIS.